Event: Human Rights Community Forum: UDHR 70 years on, time to act?
70th Anniversary of the Human Rights Declaration - Human Rights Community Forum - UDHR 70 years on, time to act?
- When: 10 December 2018, 12.00pm-2.00pm
- Where: Theatre, Lower Ground 1, National Library of Australia, Parkes PI W Canberra ACT
- Ticket Price: Free
The ACT Human Rights Commission, the UN Information Office, Amnesty International and Australian Lawyers for Human Rights are convening a public forum to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) - this landmark document set out for the first time fundamental human rights to be universally protected.
Seventy years after playing a leading role in the development of universal human rights, is it time for Australia to enshrine these rights in our national law?
CSSA's CEO, Fr Frank Brennan SJ, is participating as a panel speaker at the Forum. Keynote Speakers are:
• The Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG, former High Court Judge
• Professor Gillian Triggs, former President of the Australian Human Rights Commission.
The event will be chaired by Dr Helen Watchirs, ACT Human Rights Commission President, and Mr Chris Woodthorpe, Director of UN Information Centre will read out the UN Secretary-General’s Statement. A one hour panel discussion will follow keynote speakers with three additional speakers:
• Frank Brennan SJ AO, CEO of Catholic Social Services Australia;
• Thomas Albrecht, UNHCR Regional Representative; and
• Claire Mallinson, National Director, Amnesty International Australia
Further informaton and ticket information is available here.